Braithwaite and Pearks Ltd is a boutique firm of specialist accountants providing personalised service to clients.
Rob Braithwaite and Lynette Pearks are Chartered Accountants that have had the benefit of holding very senior positions in large accounting firms, and have taken that experience into their own scaled down firm. This means they have had the benefit of great training and exposure to excellent systems as well as plenty of experience with complex client requirements.
While their background is in corporate tax, their specialist skills extend to business valuation and bloodstock. They can also take care of all your accounting and compliance needs with the ability to draw on their specialist expertise as necessary.
Continuity and a “hands-on” service team – they want to create a relationship that lasts, one that ensures they understand your business and where you feel comfortable checking in with them on any issues that arise. A practical approach – an approach based on face to face meetings and working alongside you.
Despite ongoing attempts at simplification, New Zealand’s tax system remains complex. The constant change in tax law requires up to date technical knowledge.
Compliance with your tax obligations can be time consuming and expensive. Rob and Lynette can assist you with minimising your tax compliance cost through their hands on approach.
They can also assist with planning opportunities and offer a practical common sense approach to complex business issues. They prefer to work alongside their clients and to enhance your own understanding of the issues.
Their tax expertise enables them to offer the following:
- Return preparation
- Transaction advice including on acquisition and disposal of businesses
- Structuring and restructuring advice
- Deferred tax accounting
- Tax dispute assistance
They can do as much or as little as you want. You can retain your relationship with other advisors and use them as a cost effective provider of distinct parts of your overall tax and accounting requirements.
Larger tax practices tend to take a technical approach. Rob and Lynette present practical solutions to their clients, setting out the issues and recommendations. They prefer to take part in the decision making process.
General accounting and taxation functions are areas undergoing significant change with software and on-line solutions moving a greater amount of work away from traditional accountants. When this works, it provides the ideal opportunity for Braithwaite and Pearks Ltd. With reliable up to date accounting information, they can focus on areas of the business that require attention.
They can assist in ensuring that this information is reliable and up to date and can work with your accounting systems or theirs to produce this information if required. They are firm believers in not re-inventing the wheel and in using your systems as much as possible rather than unnecessarily duplicating accounting records.
They can look after your:
- Monthly or annual financial statement preparation
- Tax return preparation and advice arising from the accounts
- GST return preparation
- Company secretarial compliance
Valuation and Financial Opinons
They can provide expert independent financial opinions on matters such as business and share valuations, as well as loss of profits or damages assessments.
The reasons for a business valuation or loss assessment are varied and the approach required will vary accordingly. Rob has extensive experience in such matters including appearing as expert witness in District Court and High Court hearings.
The need for a valuation or loss assessment is commonly linked to a dispute of some kind. They can provide assistance with the assessment of client’s positions and assist with the process whether the matter is before the Courts or may go to Court or other dispute resolution service.
Common circumstances requiring valuation or loss assessment include:
- Business and share valuation
- Shareholder dispute
- Succession planning
- Minority interest valuations
- Relationship (Matrimonial) Property
- Loss of profits
- Insurance claims
- Misrepresentation losses
- Goodwill valuations
They advise horse businesses nationally and internationally including Australia, Asia and America.
Rob’s specialist tax knowledge in relation to agribusiness includes being a former member of the Chartered Accountants Australia New Zealand Rural Advisory Group and co-authoring the CCH publication on Bloodstock Taxation and John Aubrey’s Bloodstock Taxation publication.
They act on behalf of owners and breeders and are a valued partner of the New Zealand Thoroughbred Breeders' Association having assisted the Association in discussions with Inland Revenue with the objective of clarifying the concessions available to bloodstock owners in the NZ tax system.
Services available to bloodstock owners include advice about and preparation and lodgement of the required returns, forms and activity statements for:
- Registration within the NZ tax system
- Identification of income tax obligations and the impact of cross border activities
- Goods and Services Tax Returns
- Annual Income Tax returns
- Financial reporting to owners, including syndicated ownership structures
- Relationship and communication with Inland Revenue by acting as your tax agent
Contact us to order a copy of Bloodstock Taxation
Contact us to subscribe to Bloodstock Tax Circular
Rob and Lynette understand the issues you face and have the experience to guide you in the right direction. Providing different yet complementary skills, they have specialist expertise and experience that will deliver value.
Owner and Director
- 35 years experience in business advisory and tax
- Tax adviser to other Chartered Accountants
- Wider experience includes corporate finance activities, bringing a commercial approach to tax planning and compliance
- Well known in the business community and has a proven track record with other successful Hamilton businesses
- Work experience in England, Canada and Hong Kong
Owner and Director
- 30 years Big4 experience in business advisory and tax
- In house tax consultant to one of Hamilton’s largest privately owned international companies
- Acting Chief Financial Officer for a start-up manufacturer
- Proven track record in accounting and tax management for similar entities
OUR OFFICES ARE AT 240 VICTORIA STREET, HAMILTON 3204
Office and parking directions
First Floor, 240 Victoria Street, Hamilton.
Riverbank side of the street, opposite the old Le Grand Hotel, 25m down driveway by The Chilli House; first door on the right, upstairs, reception through the door on the right.
Parking is also available at:
- On Street 2 hours free parking
- Wilson Parking Building on Alexandra Street
- Museum car parking 200m South on Victoria Street
- Knox Street parking building on Hood Street
- Sky City parking on Alma Street